enyaceleste

enyaceleste

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky This review was originally posted on http://threecatsandabook.blogspot.com

I wanted to read this book for a long long time. And when I finally started reading it, I couldn’t put it down. Literally. I only stopped reading when I absolutely had to, like when I had to go to uni or to the bathroom. But other than that, I read like a crazy maniac on October 10, 2012.

Although I’m not quite the expert yet on books –I know when I’m enjoying one and when I’m not– I am able to say that this book is very special. We got a special one over here. I feel like this book is already becoming a contemporary classic. Or maybe it already is, I’m not so sure.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is a collection of letters from Charlie, a 15-year old boy who’s pretty awkward around people and super sensitive. He feels all the feels all the time, basically. He sends these letters from August 1991 to August 1992 to an unnamed receiver, which is most likely you (the reader)!

This book is the ultimate coming-of-age story, if you’d ask me. There are so many issues brought up in this book. And I don’t want to spoil it for you, but it has your typical problems with drugs and alcohol and sexuality to Juno-like situations and child abuse. It has a lot. In under 250 pages. And surprisingly, it wasn’t overwhelming at all.

I gave this book four out of five stars because I really liked, but I feel like it has much more to it than I got out of it. Does that make sense? I feel like I’m going to enjoy this book even more when I’m reading it for the second time. I probably went through it too quickly, I’m afraid. I feel like I’ve seen a glimpse of the awesomeness and beauty of this book whilst racing through it. And the reason I didn’t slow down is the storyline in which so many things are going on. I just wanted to know more and more and more.

What I also really liked was the way in which this book has been written. Charlie is a very unique character and through his letters we get to know him in the best and most honest way. These letters are really written by Charlie and his character can be seen in almost every sentence.

What also made this book special were these little moment of recognition. Please don’t judge me when I say that I could totally relate to not only Charlie at some times, but also to his sister, Sam and other characters throughout this book.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a must-read for any teenager. I know I will be giving this book for Christmas to basically everyone I know. No, that’s not really true, but I would if I could. My point is, that this book is a very special book and if you haven’t read it yet I highly recommend you do.