enyaceleste

enyaceleste

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl - Jesse Andrews This review was originally posted on http://threecatsandabook.blogspot.com

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is Jesse Andrews’ debut novel and I can’t wait to read more of his work in the future. Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is a book about a girl who has cancer that I enjoyed reading. To be honest, I am afraid of books about cancer. I’m afraid they will be too emotional and that I won’t be able to stop crying and I don’t really want to be confronted with those stories. Due to personal reasons. That’s why I haven’t read The Fault In Our Stars by John Green yet. I’m sure I’m going to read it someday, but I don’t think I’m ready yet.

But that’s not really important. What’s important is that I really enjoyed reading this book about a girl who has cancer. And that’s because of the fantastic characters who have a ridiculously great sense of humor. All of them do. But those who stand out the most are of course Greg and Earl.

Yes that’s the Earl from the title. He is by far my most favorite character from this book. But let me first tell you about what this book is about. This book is about Greg who actually wrote this book. You know what, I’m going to quote him and let him introduce himself: “My name is Greg Gaines. I am seventeen. I am the one who wrote this book. My physical appearance is unsatisfactory, and there is probably a fungus eating my brain. I’m not even sure I’m a human.” This was taken from the inside cover of this book, the story hasn’t even started yet at this point.

Greg isn’t really a writer, he is a filmmaker. And this can be seen throughout the book. Many scenes of dialogues are actually written like you are reading a script. Greg’s only friend is Earl. Well they’re not really friends according to Greg, they are more like acquaintances who make films together. And boy oh boy are their films funny. Together they end up with this girl Rachel who has been diagnosed with leukemia and the rest of the story follows.

I don’t even really care about the storyline. Don’t get me wrong, the plot is interesting and not boring at all, I liked it. But it’s not what makes this book special. What makes it special is the combination of Greg as a writer and Earl as his buddy. They are really funny on their own but put together they are able to create a tsunami of uncontrollable giggling. No matter where I was, on the train, late at night in my bed, I had to laugh out loud while reading this book.

Although I would really love if everyone would pick up this book and love it as much as I do, I know some people don’t like it because of the mature content. It’s not like things happen in this book that’s not really suitable for younger audiences, it’s more the language that people are concerned about. Or to quote Greg once more: “Earl can be sort of profane sometimes. He’s actually mellowed out a lot since his middle school days, believe it or not.” And then he gives us some examples that I won’t repeat here. But you get the drill. If you don’t like the use of an occasional curse word, I wouldn’t recommend this book to you. I’m not a great user of curse words or explicit language or anything, but I do think that the use of it in this book only added to the high level of hilarity of it.

All in all I give it four out of five stars. I really enjoyed reading this book because it was so hilarious but I wasn’t so impressed with the story itself that I would give this book a full five out of five. I would still highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to have a good laugh. Or anyone who wants to add another gorgeous book to their bookshelves.