enyaceleste

enyaceleste

School Spirits - Rachel Hawkins This review was originally posted on http://threecatsandabook.blogspot.com

School Spirits is the first book in a spin-off series. Rachel Hawkins had previously written the Hex Hall series, a series I’ve always wanted to read but never had a chance to. Fortunately, Disney-Hyperion was so kind to send me an eGalley of the first book in the School Spirits series.

First of all I would like to say that you do not need to read the Hex Hall books before reading School Spirits. I bet School Spirits would be even more fun to read when you've read the previous books by Rachel Hawkins, but I did not feel like I was missing out on anything. In fact, I did not know School Spirits was a spin-off until I started doing my research after reading this book.

School Spirits follows Izzy Brannick who, at only 15, is able to defeat monsters. Pretty badass, huh? It’s tradition for Brannick ladies to hunt the magical evil and that’s exactly what Izzy, her older sister and mom do. Until Izzy’s sister mysteriously disappears on the job.
Her mom decides to give Izzy a break and they move to a new town where Izzy is to attend high school as well. She discovers that this small town isn’t as normal as it seems and she’s determined to prove her mother that’s she a true Brannick. And that all while discovering high school.

Izzy quickly makes new friends at school and she can include me as one of her new friends as well. What a likeable character is she! As are her new friends. Or maybe it is Rachel Hawkins who I really like. Her writing style is so quirky and funny and it makes me really regret not reading Hex Hall when I was a little younger. Because I have to admit that School Spirits is a little bit too bouncy to my liking, but sometimes that is exactly the kind of book I want to read. Perhaps that's a bit contradictory but it's true.

What surprised me about School Spirits was not the witty prose or the likeable characters, but the fact that I was not able to predict the plot. Honestly, I was not able to tell what was going to happen which is a good thing of course. Fun and light books like this generally go hand in hand with predicting storylines but that was definitely not the case with School Spirits.

I really wish I could go back in time and give the Princess Diaries-loving me these books written by Rachel Hawkins. The humor and the writing style slightly reminds me of Meg Cabot, but other than that School Spirits has different things to offer: magic as well as mystery. Although I did perceive this book as ‘fun’ and ‘light’ it also definitely left me on the edge of my seat not knowing what to expect at all. Are you looking for a light read filled with a combination of magic, humor and a hint of suspense than School Spirits is definitely up your alley.